My Family

My Family

Friday, April 16, 2010

A little overwhelmed! (prayers please)

I just finished typing a very long post and it all got erased…I AM LOSING IT ;)

On Monday we went to my ultra-sound appt. as I already posted about. I don’t think I mentioned how the Perinatologist went on and on about the fact that I am taking baby aspirin, T3, and hydrocortisone. I basically tuned him out while he chatted about his concerns and yada-yada. I really didn’t feel the need or interest to listen to him because I am following Dr. Hilgers’ protocol and most of the time I have found that doctors disagree with his treatments.

My mid-wife called me yesterday to tell me that the Perinatologist gave them a three page report which she said was “scary” saying that I need continuous ultra-sounds done throughout my pregnancy to monitor the growth of my baby and perhaps an extra dose of steroids during labor to help my body deal with the physical stress. WTF? I really don’t understand why he would say all of this. Needless to say the mid-wife feels uncomfortable working with me since Dr. Hilgers has no authority over what she does for me during my pregnancy and labor. I asked her if I continue to listen only to Dr. Hilgers and follow his protocol will she still keep me as a patient and her answer was basically no. We went round and round about it for about 15 minutes. She said I need to see an ER here that she knows and feels comfortable with and based on what that ER says about my thyroid, elctrolyte blood level and adrenal glands then she will decide what to do next. I went ahead and did the blood work she suggested and made an appt. with the ER for April 30th but even if the ER wants to change Dr. Hilgers protocol for me I do NOT want to!!!! I called PPVI and asked them to have Dr. Hilgers write me a letter explaining why he has me taking certain drugs and the nurse said it would be weeks before he was able to do that so she would try to get one of his fellow staff members to do so a bit sooner. In the meantime I guess I have to follow what I am being told to do here in Richmond. So I feel like these are my choices:

a) Go to the ER appt. and follow anything they tell me…
b) Find a different mid-wife at a different hospital and then not disclose all of Dr. Hilgers protocol…
c) Have a home birth
d) Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

I am just frustrated about this whole situation because it is not the first time I have come across Dr.s that disagree with Dr. Hilgers protocol.

Oh, while I am griping about things I might as well vent about the fact that I went to get my blood draw today and the registrar shouted out in front of other patients that “your face is getting FAT! Your face is chubby!” Then she proceeded to take me into the registrar office and bring her co-worker over to point out that my face is getting chubby! I said that’s nice of you to say (sarcastic of course) and she just laughed and asked me if I am eating the right foods. I told her I go to Cold Stone Ice-Cream sometime (panicking of course for some reason why I look fat) and she said “no that wouldn’t do it…are you drinking enough water?” I just wanted to die at this point. I wish people would avoid the words “fat” and “chubby” right now….

20 comments:

  1. I am in shock. I can't believe your midwife is essentially dropping you. That's ridiculous! Is your protocol to drop the T3 at 24 weeks? That's what they told me and I'm just wondering if that might help a little. My doc wants me to drop the cortisol too, so I have to fight that battle next. I'm so sorry this is happening to you.

    I cannot BELIEVE they were looking at your face and analyzing it's size! Seriously? Who does that? Did they know the exact size of your face before? Give me a break. You look just fine in your pictures and even if your face does change, hello, it's because YOU'RE PREGNANT! Everything changes! Trust me. You're fine.

    Where do these people come from? I don't have any other suggestions but I'll keep you in my prayers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such crap, all of it, and I am so sorry you are having to deal with it. In all my juggling between docs of different beliefs this is up there wtih the one that discontinued me from his service for not taking methotrexate to kill my already dying baby. WTH?! I am praying for the people you interact with to be more sane. I am so sorry!
    And why would anyone say that about a pregnant woman? Pregnant women gain weight people and it is wonderful and natural. My sister ate two doughnuts a day, so I know the cold stone isn't an issue. Sometimes ice cream is the best soother while pregnant. These women HAVE.ZERO.TACT. For one person with this opinion, there are a hundred others who do not feel this way. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls! I am all chocked up by your sweet comments! This is why I need you blogging friends as apart of my life ;) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber!

    This is absolutely nuts. I felt like it was a battle just to get a ob/gyn local to support my seeking help from Dr. H to ttc, I can only imagine how much harder the battle will be to STAY pregnant. I will be praying that God leads you to the right person to offer you the help and assistance you need to keep making this pg a good experience for you!

    In regards to the awful comments by the office ladies, they were completely off base. I think you are radiant and your face is not chubby at all! It is so hard to be the light of Christ in those kind of situations, right? Praying that your spirit finds peace and comfort today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I'm not working with PPVI, I don't really know what it's like to have differing views between doctors, but I know that you'll get it all straightened out and I'll be praying for you in the meantime.

    And those comments-sometimes people are so obtuse. I remember when my doctor told me a possible cause of my high FSH level was a syndrome that would cause me to become progressively mentally retarded (her words), but then I looked it up and there was no way I could have that; nothing else added up. They just blurt stuff out without thinking. I saw your pics on facebook and you are glowing! And you don't even look like you've put on weight, just an adorable baby bump. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, I'm so sorry you have to deal with this!!!! Take a deep breath and fight the devil!!!!!! God will see you through it...But fight for what you need and deep down follow your heart! ;)

    HONEY< -GO TO COLD STONE EVERY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHO CARES?????

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Sew. This sounds like the devil is trying to steal your joy.

    This is totally ridiculous! Please let us know what the endocrinologist says. I would probably not say all that you are on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about the midwife dropping you if you continue to follow Dr. H's protocol. I hope that something will be worked out soon. It definitely sounds like the devil is trying to steal your joy. Good luck with the endocrinologist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no!!!
    :(

    I am SO SORRY you are dealing with this.
    I don't know anything about "protocols" or whatever, but I am just SICK that you are being treated like this.

    And I would have thrown something at those two skanks in the office. You are gorgeous and beautiful and GROWING A HUMAN BEING.

    Peace, peace, peace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. I think a homebirth would ROCK and I'd have one in a minute if I didn't live in a condo, haha!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. PPS That woman sounds like what we call a "MED-wife" - she obviously doesn't trust a woman's awesome body to do its job and freaks out at the mere thought of normalcy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amber, I saw your photos the other day and you look so pretty! Ignore those women's stupid comments!

    I'm sorry that your Mid-wife doesn't want to work with you if you continue with Dr. H. That is awful! But Dr. H is the best there is and He has been a God-send to us women. Dr. H knows your history and he knows what he is doing!!

    Do you have a Napro doctor in your area? If you don't, visit the Pope John Paul 2 Institute website, see if there is a Napro doctor on the list in your area, call them, and ask for a recommendation for a Mid-wife. I am sure they are aware of someone who can better help you and support you. Just an idea.

    Meanwhile, I will be thinking of you, baby, and husband and praying for you like crazy!! I'm going to pray a bunch of rosaries for you!!

    Would anybody like to join me in praying for Amber?

    Amber, try not to worry! Everything will be okay, I promise! Remember God, the Blessed Mother, Dr. H., your family, and friends are on your side! We are praying for you!

    http://hailmaryfullofgrace-mt.blogspot.com/

    Love,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amber, I am not sure where you live so I couldn't find a Napro Medical Consultant for you, but here's the URL:

    http://www.fertilitycare.org/

    Look on the left column and click on "Find a Medical Consultant"

    Hope that helps!

    May God Bless you, baby, and husband!

    Praying for you!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your hubby and I talked about this very topic a little this morning at work. Before you completely call it quits with the midwife, talk to Dr. Miller, the ob in the women's center. I've only seen him twice, but I like his very matter-of-fact attitude and his receptive nature. The other thing you could possibly do is contact the Bradley instructors and see if they have any recommendations.

    I'll be praying for you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry you are dealing with all this! I just sent you an email since my comment would've been very long :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this stress!!!!

    I hope and pray that you find a doctor and a midwife that will follow your wishes. Don't worry, you'll be able to do this YOUR WAY. I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds like everyone has given you good advice about the doctor situation...I'll be praying that it all works out! Keep doing what you think is best- it sounds a little ridiculous that she'd drop you- I don't get it! The good news is the baby will come out healthy and happy, so don't worry!
    Oh and you don't look fat or chubby WHATSOEVER! She's probably just jealous that you look so fabulous for being pregnant. Next time you go to Coldstone- stop by! (And bring me some too, haha!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't believe someone used the word "scary" about your report - dont' they know you don't need the added stress?? I mean really! and I am sure pregnancy looks beautiful on you, forget about the chunky comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Amber, I am so sorry! What a mess! First of all, you do NOT look chubby! You are one of the most beautiful pregnant women I have ever seen! Completely disregard her comment. As for the other stuff, I am just so sorry. I will be praying for you so much and I hope that it all pans out soon.

    ReplyDelete